Concrete Vs Asphalt in Dallas, Texas
Hub Langie Paving have come across two types of driveways that are most popular with homeowners in the Rochester, NY area. They are concrete and asphalt. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but which one should you choose?
Concrete is the one material that is durable, has curb appeal and easy to maintain. Concrete can have many looks such as brick, slate, and fieldstone that can be installed in numerous colors. Concrete will not sink or buckle as driveways made from other materials. It will hold up to the winters of Upstate New York and the hot summers. The longevity of concrete driveways will out last asphalt by 10-20 years with proper maintenance. The drawback for most is the initial cost of installation.
Reasons You May Choose Concrete Over Asphalt
- Curb Appeal – You can choose the look – brick, fieldstone or slate along with a choice of numerous colors.
- Longevity – initially the cost is more than an asphalt driveway, but it will not sink or buckle.
- It is cooler during the heat of summer.
- Sharp or pointed objects placed on your driveway will not cause indentation.
- Gas or oil drippings will not harm the surface, just rinse off with a mild detergent.
Liquid asphalt is a black, flexible, adhesive by-product of petroleum refining. Asphalt is a designed mixture of aggregate and sand combined with the liquid asphalt. The liquid asphalt under high temperatures, binds the materials together into an extremely durable material that is a popular surface for driveways, easy to work with, long lasting and pleasing to the eye.
Benefits of an Asphalt Driveway:
- Strong and Flexible
- Can withstand freeze/thaw cycle of Western New York winters.
- Less expensive than concrete.
- Not affected by salt as concrete is.
- Pleasing to the eye.
Asphalt driveways cost less initially than concrete and will last 20+ years with the proper maintenance. Many people prefer the asphalt driveway for various personal reasons. Asphalt is flexible and can give to some extent during the freeze/thaw cycles of Western NY winters. Annual spring inspections can determine the extent of any damage from the harsh winter and with early treatment, will help keep an asphalt driveway preserved for many years to come.